Wednesday, January 30, 2013
As I mentioned before in an earlier blog I have been making dresses based off of dresses worn by Lindy Chamberlain in the 1980s, for a lovely Australian customer. Above are the screen grabs from old news bits that i used to create this dress, as you can see they are pretty blurry so some guess work was involved. Below the dress I made, using a printed cotton, A-line skirt with gathered ruffle hem. Back zipper. Top wraps around to tie in the front, built in bra cups with some boning sewn into the front darts to support the cups.
Above is the suit this is designed after, I was totally guessing on the back as this was the only image of the suit. This swimsuit was a bit of a challenge, first off we went with swimwear spandex, something that was not available in the 40s but is much more swim friendly. The entire suit is lined with white swim lining. The back is cut in one piece and is smocked with narrow elastic cording, the back of the top is as well. I finished off the closure in a vintage way with a loop of elastic covered with fabric, and a metal hook. The top has boning in the bust as well as bra cups, and another modern detail the adjustable lingerie straps.