Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pink 50s Wedding Dress-Simplicity 1461

For this dress I started with a 1950s Simplicity pattern (1461) I modified the neckline and shoulders, adding set in sleeves. I also omitted the front dart and added godets to each skirt seam. Sounds like a lot of changes but each was a pretty simple alteration, i then sized the pattern to the measurements, and chose the dress form that was closest and added a little padding where needed to get an idea of how the dress will look on a body. The fabric is a poly faux silk in light pink, the over layer is an ivory patterned mesh fabric called Point D'Esprit. I sewed the mesh directly to the bodice but left it separate from the high hip down for more flow. It is fully lined with a netting ruffle attached to the lining which was cut the same as the outer dress except for the godets were not added. The sleeves are just the mesh fabric, gathered  on the outer arm to a small strip of ribbon for support. I also made a detachable bow which hooks on to the back of the dress with thread loops. I also added light weight boning to the seam allowance of the main fabric just through the midsection to keep everything smooth. 
In the 1950s the dress would have had a more structured skirt, fully interfaced for that full stiff look you see on the pattern envelope, this would have be done in some 1960s skirts as well. But I wanted to go with a  softer look.

No comments:

Post a Comment